How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3818
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im currently a Texas Resident and Im in the process of being

This answer was rated:

I'm currently a Texas Resident and I'm in the process of being hired by a recruiting Agent in Texas that would allow me to work full time in California on a rotational basis. The company, not the recruitment company, I will be working for has Headquarters in California. I know I have to file a non resident state income tax, but am I obligated to pay tax as if I'm a resident of California.

Welcome and thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you with your tax question.


You are correct that you will have to file a California non-resident state tax return for the California income. I am assuming you would file Form 540NR(short), but here is a link that contains a wealth of information regarding non-residents with California source income as well as a tax calculator and the tax table for non-residents.


Please come back to me here if you have any further questions or need clarification.


Thank you and best regards.

Barbara and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the quick reply.


As I've reviewed the recommended California Tax Board Site, I have to meet two criterias on whether to file or not to file.

1) I have to have a California Source Income, from which I have;

2) Based on a table, if my sources exceed $49,606, based on age and number of dependent, I have to file (joint income). I meet this as well.


Thank you very much for I'm very satisfied with the answer.




Hi, Edwin.


It's been my pleasure to assist you this morning. If you have any questions in the future, please feel free to put "for bkb1956 or Barb" in the subject line, and I will be happy to help you.


Thank you and best regards,


Good morning, Edwin.


Just a short note to thank you for your "excellent" rating. It is most appreciated. If you have any questions in the future, please feel free to put "for bkb1956 or Barb" in the subject line.


Once again, I apologize for the site issues of 7/26/13 and look forward to assisting you in the future.


Best regards,


Hi, Edwin.

Just following up with you to find out if you had any follow-up questions. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is an important part of being an expert on JustAnswer, and I strive for excellence.

Thank you and best regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Sorry for the delayed response. At this moment I don't have any follow up question. Once again, I give your response an excellent rating.




Great to hear from you, Edwin.


Not a problem. I hope to hear from you again in the future.


Thanks and best regards,