How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an undeveloped lot that lost most of its value, I am

This answer was rated:

I have an undeveloped lot that lost most of it's value, I am not paying the homeowner fee nor the real estate tax. There is no mortgage. What kind of problems am I going to have with the IRS? I have $22,000 IRA funds invested to date. I wan't to walk away.
How will I report this on my tax return



If this property is held in your IRA there will not be any reporting to the IRS for any transactions that occur in the IRA.

This is the same for stocks, real estate or almost any investment.


Basically this is similar to if I held a stock that went worthless in my IRA. There is no loss to report, it will just reduce the amount of value in my IRA.


As for all IRA accounts, the trustee will report activity to you for each year on Form 5498 and there is no additional reporting on the individual tax return for the investing activity during the tax year.


Please ask if you need clarification.

Thank you.

jgordosea and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you