How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3801
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In TT under "Prior Depreciation" do I enter the accumulated

This answer was rated:

In TT under "Prior Depreciation" do I enter the accumulated prior depreciation from previous years? Last year was the first year I took depreciation on the asset so the prior depreciation is 0. This year, TurboTax carried over the information including the prior depreciation of 0. Should that be the depreciation calculated for last year instead of zero?

Welcome and thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you with your tax question.


The prior depreciation is the total depreciation you took for previous years. If last year was the first year you took depreciation, that amount should be carried forward to this year's tax return.


Please let me know if you require further information or clarification on this. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Regarding prior depreciation in reference to selling a business asset...does "Depreciation allowed or allowable" refer to accumulated prior depreciation over previous years only, or is the current year's depreciation also included? Is the current tax year's depreciation taken into account on another form?


I.E.. I took $2000 depreciation in 2011. I sold the property late in 2012. I'm taking $1500 depreciation in 2012. Should the "Depreciation Allowed or Allowable" be $2000 (for 2011 only) or $3500 (2011 + 2012)

Hi, Phillip.


Since you sold the asset, basically what you have to do is "recapture" the depreciation that you took or that was allowed to be taken (whether you took it or not). You have to account for the total depreciation amount.


What type of asset/property did you sell? I can send you the link to the IRS guidelines.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I sold a piece of residential rental property. Simply put, I need clarification if 2012 depreciation is included "Depreciation Allowable" entry on the worksheet for selling a business property for my 2012 tax paperwork. My instinct is yes, but I don't want to double enter depreciation for the 2012 year if it is accounted elsewhere in the tax forms.


Thanks for your help!

Yes. You would include the 2012 amount when reporting the sale.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just to verify my thinking...on Form 4797 Part I, 2e should be prior depreciation. Part III, 22 should be prior depreciation plus 2012 depreciation.

Here's the link for the instructions for Form 4797.


You start with Part III and follow along through to the Summary of Part III.

Barbara and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you