Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

We are a non-US Corporation. I managed to get a ITIN for my

Customer Question
Company by calling the IRS...
We are a non-US Corporation. I managed to get a ITIN for my Company by calling the IRS, however, to conduct Business with specific states, I need a state Tax ID, which I am finding difficult to obtain as I (the Director) am not a US citizen.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Tax
7/20/2013
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is issued to individuals - not to the corporation.
Generally - individuals must have a filing requirement and file a valid federal income tax return to receive an ITIN.
ITINs are issued regardless of immigration status because both resident and nonresident aliens may have a U.S. filing or reporting requirement under the Internal Revenue Code.

LEV :

If you are looking for a tax ID for your corporation (including non-US Corporations) - you need to apply for EIN - Employer Identification Number.
Here is information about how to apply for EIN - http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/How-to-Apply-for-an-EIN
For specifically state registration - you will need to provide EIN on your application.
Please specificity in which state your corporation will conduct Business - and I will look for information about this state.

JACUSTOMER-gmqlcc6f- :

Sorry, I meant the EIN. I got the EIN for my Company and I am looking to get a state tax ID from either CA or IL.

LEV :

Any corporation that is registered in other states or abroad (out–of–state or out–of–country) - is considered as foreign in California.
Before transacting intrastate business in California the business must first qualify/register with the California Secretary of State.

California Corporations Code defines "transacting intrastate business" as entering into repeated and successive transactions of its business in this state, other than interstate or foreign commerce.

To register a corporation - file a Statement and Designation by Foreign Corporation (Form S&DC–S/N Form and attach to the completed form a valid certificate of good standing by an authorized public official of the foreign jurisdiction under which the foreign corporation is incorporated.
Here is the form - http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/corp/pdf/foreign/s&dc-sn.pdf
You will find instructions, fee and address to file on the form.

LEV :

For Illinois - see this publication - http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/c216.pdf
Here is the form - http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/bca425.pdf
Here are all other forms you may find helpful later - http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/business_services/dfc.html

Please be sure to ask if you need any help.

Just in case you were not able to use the chat - I am switching to Q&A mode and porting the answer below.
Please feel free to communicate if you need any clarification or have other tax related issues.

LEV :

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor