taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, MA, MST with 31 years' experience. Teach Accounting and Tax courses at Masters level.
74656765

My CPA filled for an

Customer Question

My CPA filled for an extension of time to file our 1040 for 2012. It was accepted. Since that filing, we moved from NC to VA and in the move our records were lost. Does the IRS have a "verification" list of what has been submitted by banks, other institutions, W2s, 1099s, in which a copy could be obtained by us?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 4 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
Yes the IRS does have a list. You can request the computer print out at your local IRS office. It will only have federal info though and no state withholding.

Robin D :

The print out will show all issuers of income and the federal withholding (if any) for each.

Robin D :

Do upi know where your local IRS office is located?

Robin D :

I can give you alist for all in NC.

JACUSTOMER-1e8cm3g2- :

you charged me $30 to tell me to go to the local office? Is this a joke? What is the name of the form and please don't tell me a verification form. Be specific. What happened to the lawyer I was first told I would get? I spent all day yesterday trying to get PAST the computer and speak to a human and now I'm stuck with an answer like yours.

Robin D :

I had no indication you requested a lawyer.

Robin D :

I am happy to assist in getting this moved to one.

Robin D :

Please do not respond to me as that will delay an attorney assisting you.

JACUSTOMER-1e8cm3g2- :

why would I go to NC IRS when I live in VA?

Robin D :

NC was listed as the state when your question was sent to the tax category.

Robin D :

An attorney will be here to assist you but please try not to reply until you hear from them.

JACUSTOMER-1e8cm3g2- :

where are you?

Robin D :

I am in Georgia, near Atlanta.

Robin D :

If you are in Virginia and would like to contact the IRS office near you the list is here
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-My-Local-Office-in-North-Carolina

Robin D :

That way you do not need to state your city or othe rinfo here.

Robin D :

The request you would make is simply ask for income verification print out.

Robin D :

Unless you wish to contact each issuer of the documents and request copies, that would be your best resource for the items misplaced.

Robin D :

The IRS will not give you copies of each, those can only be requested when a taxpayer requests a copy of a filed tax return.

JACUSTOMER-1e8cm3g2- :

why are u standing by? I am not getting any answers or communication

Robin D :

I was not standing by. I merely responded to your last question with the following:

id="JA_chatMessage_13" class="JA_chatMessage JA_persAActive">

That way you do not need to state your city or other info here.

JACUSTOMER-1e8cm3g2- :

why can't I see any reply from "Robin"?

Robin D :

I am not sure

Robin D :

Can you see this?

Robin D :

I could change to regular Q & A but that would mean we leave the CHAT mode

JACUSTOMER-1e8cm3g2- :

I give up.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 4 years ago.
I switched to regular Q & A because you stated you could not see any post.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 4 years ago.
I just received a message that you responded. I see no additional post from you though.
I apologize for the system difficulties earlier and I sent a message to Customer Support that you could not view.
Expert:  taxmanrog replied 4 years ago.
The easiest thing to do is to go to any CPA, enrolled agent, or tax attorney, and fill out a Form 2848. This allows them to talk to the IRS. Then, with you in their office or at some other time, they can call a special number available only to tax practitioners, called the Practitioner's Hotline. There, they can ask for a transcript of your account. You want a income and deduction transcript, not an account transcript. They can have it faxed to them. The IRS will attempt to fax the transcript to the CPA/EA/lawyer three times. then they will mail it.

Often you can get this transcript in a few hours (I have occasionally received it within the hour). The only drawback from this method is that it does not show any state taxes that were withheld, it only shows Federal information. You might have to contact your employer or refer to your last paycheck stub for your state withholding tax deducted.

I hope this answers your question! If you feel that this was helpful, please give me a positive rating! Thanks!