PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
64119565

Are Ohio S corps allowed the same 450.00 cash exemption from

Are Ohio S corps allowed the same 450.00 cash exemption from a bank garnishment as personal accounts?

PDtax :

Welcome to the site. I will assist this evening. In Q & A format...

Ohio 2329.66 is the state statute that governs the exemption from levy in a bank account. http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2329.66 is the link to the copy I used. It specifically mentions a $400 exemption in a person's interest in a savings or other bank account. I believe the amount has been increased to $450, I may have just had an old copy of the statute.

Since it is debtor-creditor law that I cited, and it is applicable to individuals for exemptions for bankruptcy, I do not believe this cash exemption applies to corporations. they are not 'persons' as intended in this state statute.

I do not believe the $450 exemption extends to corporations, since the statute governing the exemption is for persons only, and this does not include corporations for these purposes.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. I'm PDtax.