How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15443
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A question about taxes and travel reimbursement. I have

This answer was rated:

A question about taxes and travel reimbursement.

I have been working on the same project for almost a year, except for 3 weeks of non-work travel on two occasions, and 3 weeks working on a different project. I own a house in Nevada and work in California. I read, if I work on the same project for more than one year that I will have to pay tax on my travel reimbursement. Halfway through the year I changed from employed (W2) to self-employed (1099) on the same project. I will need to sign a new contract to stay with the project past one year.

Should I stop working on this project before a year has passed to avoid having to pay about $8000 tax on the reimbursements? Or will signing a new contract be enough?

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
The IRS says that a considerable time would need to pass. Many feel this is 3 months between assignments to the same area. Signing a contract would not generally be enough if you were audited.


Ok. Thank you.

Robin D :

You are most welcome

Robin D :

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you