Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How much would I receive on $5,000 a week for life after taxes?

If I was to win...

If I was to win Publishers Clearing House by $5,000 per week for life how much would the taxes be?

Answered in 1 hour by:
7/17/2013
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome and thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you with your tax question.

The following are the 2013 tax rates:

Single Filing Status:

• 10% on taxable income from $0 to $8,925, plus
  • 15% on taxable income over $8,925 to $36,250, plus
  • 25% on taxable income over $36,250 to $87,850, plus
  • 28% on taxable income over $87,850 to $183,250, plus
  • 33% on taxable income over $183,250 to $398,350, plus
  • 35% on taxable income over $398,350 to $400,000, plus
  • 39.6% on taxable income over $400,000.
  • Married Filing Jointly or Qualifying Widow(er) Filing Status

[Tax Rate Schedule Y-1, Internal Revenue Code section 1(a)]

• 10% on taxable income from $0 to $17,850, plus
    • 15% on taxable income over $17,850 to $72,500, plus
    • 25% on taxable income over $72,500 to $146,400, plus
    • 28% on taxable income over $146,400 to $223,050, plus
    • 33% on taxable income over $223,050 to $398,350, plus
    • 35% on taxable income over $398,350 to $450,000, plus
    • 39.6% on taxable income over $450,000.

Married Filing Separately Filing Status

[Tax Rate Schedule Y-2, Internal Revenue Code section 1(d)]

• 25% on taxable income over $36,250 to $73,200, plus
    • 28% on taxable income over $73,200 to $111,525, plus
    • 33% on taxable income over $111,525 to $199,175, plus
    • 35% on taxable income over $199,175 to $225,000, plus
    • 39.6% on taxable income over $225,000.

Head of Household Filing Status

[Tax Rate Schedule Z, Internal Revenue Code section 1(b)]

• 10% on taxable income from $0 to $12,750, plus
    • 15% on taxable income over $12,750 to $48,600, plus
    • 25% on taxable income over $48,600 to $125,450, plus
    • 28% on taxable income over $125,450 to $203,150, plus
    • 33% on taxable income over $203,150 to $398,350, plus
    • 35% on taxable income over $398,350 to $425,000, plus
    • 39.6% on taxable income over $425,000.

Since you did not provide your filing status, I gave you the information for all filing statuses. If you were to win $5,000 per week in 2013, the amount would be $260,000, but please remember that the above percentages pertain to taxable income.

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.

Thank you.

I file as a single person with a taxable income of about $17,000. I didn't know if there is a different tax rate for winnings as opposed to earned income.

If you are single, you would fall into the 33% range. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Thank you and best regards,

Barbara
    Barbara, Enrolled Agent
    Barbara
    Barbara
    Barbara, Enrolled Agent