Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
5242771

Hi, We are filed taxes for 2012. Me and my wife lived in

Customer Question

We are filed taxes for 2012. Me and my wife lived in Wisconsin/Milwaukee till April and then moved in California/San Diego. I was the only one working in Milwaukee WI. I was working there till the end of May. When we moved in California I was working in the same company till the end of the year 2012.
We submitted our taxes and got money back from California taxes and per our accountant, the person who helped us with taxes we had to receive 503$ back. We got the letter from Wisconsin that forms was not submitted correctly and we have to 1900$.
Message in the letter:
For the 2012 tax year, you didn't indicate on your WI Form 1NPR your resident status. You also didn't include a complete copy of your 2012 Federal Income Tax return for 1040 and all schedules attached form 1040A or 1040EZ.

To support the credit claimed you need to submit the following documents.
A complete copy of your 2012 CA income Tax return
Your 2012 withholding statement showing tax withheld in CA.

We need help with these forms. Forms was attached to our letter.

Thank you,
Alex
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 4 years ago.

Anne :

Hi

Anne :

Thank you for your question

Anne :

You should have filed as a part year resident for WI just as you should have filed a as a part year resident in CA.

Anne :

That is why WI specifically mentions the

Form 1NPR - Wisconsin Department of Revenue

Anne :

Generally, if you can get in touch with either the tax pro that helped you in 2012, many companies will pay any interest and penalties if it is their error

Anne :

Even if you can't find the EXACT preparer, the company that that pro worked for will stand behind their guarantee.

Anne :

Also, if its a large chain, such as H&R Block, Jackson Hewitt, etc, you only need to take the letter and a copy of your 2012 tax return to ANY of those offices and they will fix the return, and again, they should pay any interest and penalties

Anne :

This would be the most beneficial way for you to handle this.

Anne :

If you have problems locating the tax pro/company/office, where your 2012 return was prepared, please come back to this site (you can bookmark it so that you won't lose this information) and we will discuss other options. However, none of the other options will be as beneficial to you since I'm sure there's interest and possibly a penalty associated to the $1900 that WI now states that you owe them.

Anne :

I truly hope this information is helpful but please do not rate until you are satisfied. If you want to click on 1 or 2 just click on the continue to work with me button instead. You will then be able to add any other info or respond to what I have posted so far. Rating 3-5 gives me credit and a good rating but you can still converse with me.

Expert:  Anne replied 4 years ago.

Hi

If you would rather fill the WI-1NPR form yourself without going back through your tax pro, I'd be happy to walk you through the form and help you put together the forms as WI requested.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Anne,

thank you for your response.

He (tax pro who helped us) actually filled out the form 1NPR, but he doesn't filled the Resident Status section, i guess it must be marked as a part-year resident of WI.
All documents were signed by us, there is no his (or his company) name on it. We tried to contact him, left a lot of voice messages, but he didn't respond.

Please find scanned papers by clicking on the link below:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w9js6ahaw667pw6/4NWaJx4Xpp

What should we do?

Sincerely,
Aida & Alex
Expert:  Anne replied 4 years ago.
Actually this should be a pretty easy fix.

Refile your WI return just the way it is, EXCEPT that you will want to check the 'part year resident box" and write AMENDED across the top of the form.

Then send in a copy of your Federal and CA state returns just as the letter asks for.

Hopefully you didn't let the 21 days expire, however, even if you did, I would still handle this exactly the same way as I told you above.