Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

If i have a retail shop in a foreign country with an online

If i have a retail shop in a foreign country with an online store, and i want to sell online to customers in the US, am i responsible for paying Taxes to the US government? Additionally, if I have a personal bank account in the US and I want to link the payments i receive from online sales (from the US and from around the world countries) to that account, what will be the situation in this case?

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

If your online store is abroad, and you do not have any physical ties to the US, such as a store here or an office here, then you will not have a tax liability to the US for the sales to your US customers

MyVirtualCPA :

Only income that is generated through activity inside the US is taxable, of course unless you are a resident or citizen in which case your worldwide income is subject to tax

MyVirtualCPA :

However, running a site in a foreign country and shipping from the foreign country to the US would not create a tax liability here.

MyVirtualCPA :

Simply having a bank account here does not create a tax liability

MyVirtualCPA :

IF you are classified as a US Non Resident alien, then the sale of your inventory to the US would be sourced income. But, if you have no ties to the US there is no tax

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Gilbert,

I see we were having technical difficulties in chat. IF you have further questions, please respond to me here. OTherwise, please rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

In my US bank account i have a Student status with a debit card that i used to pay. Ii is an Individual account for which i signed a Form W-8. If i want to link my paypal account or other online payment methods to it will i be responsible for a double taxation, in my country and in the US.?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My individual bank account have a student status for which i signed a form W-8, and i used it to pay. If i want to link the paypal account or other online payment services to this account in order to receive payments, am i responsible for a double taxation (in my country and in the US)?

No, simply having a bank account here does not create a tax liability.

Please let me know if you need anything else. If not please rate as excellent so that I may receive credit for assisting today.