Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can I claim my childs college tuition?

Can I claim my child's...
Can I claim my child's college tuition?
7/16/2013
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Thanks for choosing JustAnswer.com! I will do my best to provide you with a clear and concise answer to your tax question based on the information that you have provided.

If you can claim your child as a dependent on your return and the tuition was not paid with tax free scholarships or grants, you would be able to claim a tax benefit from your children's tuition.

If there are additional questions or concerns, please reply to this answer so that I may assist you further. If this answers your questions, please rate my performance between OK and Excellent so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Thanks for your business.

She is an adult now no longer a dependent but I pay her the bill it comes in my name.

Unfortunately, no. You cannot claim any of the tuition tax breaks unless the tuition is being paid for someone who you can claim as a dependent.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

You may be able to claim her as a dependent (and the tuition breaks) if the following applies:

1.) She earned less than 3,900 dollars for 2013
2.) You provide more than half of her financial support (including tuition)

Another option is to have the daughter claim the tuition tax breaks, and then she could use any refund money to pay you back for the tuition that you have provided.
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent