How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillip B, EA Your Own Question
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 704
Experience:  Practicing since 2004. Expert in 1040, small business, represent vs. IRS, & int'l tax mattters.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Phillip B, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I claim my childs college tuition?

This answer was rated:

Can I claim my child's college tuition?
Thanks for choosing! I will do my best to provide you with a clear and concise answer to your tax question based on the information that you have provided.

If you can claim your child as a dependent on your return and the tuition was not paid with tax free scholarships or grants, you would be able to claim a tax benefit from your children's tuition.

If there are additional questions or concerns, please reply to this answer so that I may assist you further. If this answers your questions, please rate my performance between OK and Excellent so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Thanks for your business.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is an adult now no longer a dependent but I pay her the bill it comes in my name.

Unfortunately, no. You cannot claim any of the tuition tax breaks unless the tuition is being paid for someone who you can claim as a dependent.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

You may be able to claim her as a dependent (and the tuition breaks) if the following applies:

1.) She earned less than 3,900 dollars for 2013
2.) You provide more than half of her financial support (including tuition)

Another option is to have the daughter claim the tuition tax breaks, and then she could use any refund money to pay you back for the tuition that you have provided.
Phillip B, EA and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you