Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I received a letter stating that the state wanted to audit

my 2011 and 2012 returns...
I received a letter stating that the state wanted to audit my 2011 and 2012 returns. I have all pertinent information requested in the letter except for my 2011 Federal and State returns. I did not receive these when they were completed and asked for them numerous times, now they are out of business and i have no way of getting in contact with them, can i mail everything else in except those returns and be okay
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/12/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

Customer:

I am okay just a little concerned

MyVirtualCPA :

I would mail in what you have for the audit, and then write a letter explaining that you do not have copies of your tax return. Order them from the IRS and let the state know you are getting them

MyVirtualCPA :

They shouldn't have a problem waiting, just get them out when you can

Customer:

I wrote the letter stating that I received their letter requesting the information, then i listed line by line all information that i have included and stated at the bottom that I have attached all W2's and 1099's for both years but do not have the 2011 returns

MyVirtualCPA :

That will be fine...just get them as quickly as you can

MyVirtualCPA :

they will understand

Customer:

Since everything is by mail will they contact me if they need any additional information

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, they will contact you if they need further information

Customer:

Okay I have one more dilemma

MyVirtualCPA :

Okay what is that

Customer:

I had a friend who started a tax business do my taxes so that I could help her get her business started. I did not see the return prior to her filing it. I have noticed that she claimed a business deduction but i do not have a personal business nor have I ever had one, what should I do I never CHEAT on my taxes never have never will. I pay whatever I owe.

MyVirtualCPA :

Well, if your return is inaccurate simply file an amended return

Customer:

I am just an honest person and will never take advantage of any situation, and to me this is really serious. If this happen to me how many other people has this effected.

MyVirtualCPA :

yes, I know. But all you need to worry about is ensuring that your own return is accurate

MyVirtualCPA :

that's all you can do

Customer:

Okay thank you for your time and answers to my questions. I am sure everything is going to be okay, and I am going to get this whole mess straightened out.

MyVirtualCPA :

It will be over before you know it :-) I wish you the best of luck

MyVirtualCPA :

please take a moment to rate my response "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

No problem

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks!