How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WebCPA Your Own Question
WebCPA, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 111
Experience:  Licensed CPA. 10+ years experience.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
WebCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just got a new job in NYC but I live in New Jersey. Can someone

Customer Question

I just got a new job in NYC but I live in New Jersey. Can someone advise me on which forms, I need to fill out for states? I already filled out the federal w-4 but my employer is unsure on what I need to fill out for payroll and tax withholding because I live in NJ and not NYC
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  WebCPA replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question. I'll do my best to provide an informative answer. Please let me know if you need any clarification.

It is very common for employees to live in NJ and work in NYC. It is actually a bit surprising that your employer has not encountered this before. Here is basically how it works: NY and NYC will make you pay income tax based on the number of days actually worked in the city. You will also have to report the income (all of your income) on your NJ income tax return. NJ will then give you a credit for the tax you paid to NY/NYC. Therefore, you need to have NY/NYC tax withheld from your paycheck.

Just like you did a W-4 for the Feds, you will need to complete an IT-2104 for NY/NYC withholding.

When you prepare your year-end tax forms you may owe a bit to NJ and may be due a small refund to NY depending on number of days worked in NYC. It can be a bit complicated so this may be the year you consider hiring a tax professional to do your taxes.

I hope this helps and thanks for using this service.

Kind regards
Expert:  WebCPA replied 4 years ago.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,