Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I just got a new job in NYC but I live in New Jersey. Can someone

Customer Question
advise me on which forms...
I just got a new job in NYC but I live in New Jersey. Can someone advise me on which forms, I need to fill out for states? I already filled out the federal w-4 but my employer is unsure on what I need to fill out for payroll and tax withholding because I live in NJ and not NYC
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/11/2013
Tax Professional: WebCPA, Tax Accountant replied 4 years ago
WebCPA
WebCPA, Tax Accountant
Welcome and thank you for your question. I'll do my best to provide an informative answer. Please let me know if you need any clarification.

It is very common for employees to live in NJ and work in NYC. It is actually a bit surprising that your employer has not encountered this before. Here is basically how it works: NY and NYC will make you pay income tax based on the number of days actually worked in the city. You will also have to report the income (all of your income) on your NJ income tax return. NJ will then give you a credit for the tax you paid to NY/NYC. Therefore, you need to have NY/NYC tax withheld from your paycheck.

Just like you did a W-4 for the Feds, you will need to complete an IT-2104 for NY/NYC withholding.

When you prepare your year-end tax forms you may owe a bit to NJ and may be due a small refund to NY depending on number of days worked in NYC. It can be a bit complicated so this may be the year you consider hiring a tax professional to do your taxes.

I hope this helps and thanks for using this service.

Kind regards

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
WebCPA
WebCPA
WebCPA
WebCPA, Tax Accountant