Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I recently filed my 2009 tax return, mailed it 6/3/13. When

I recently filed my 2009...
I recently filed my 2009 tax return, mailed it 6/3/13. When I got a letter informing me that I had not filed that return, my tax due was calculated on filing single, 1 exemption. In fact , I was head of household with 2 exemptions which changed my tax owed from $4252 to $1562 plus penalties, etc. I then got a letter dated 7/8/13 which indicated they received my 1040A but the amount due did not reflect this change. Can you tell me why
7/10/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unfortunately the only one that can assist you with this problem is the IRS. You would be well advised to hire a tax professional to correspond with the IRS on your behalf as it relates to this issue.

MyVirtualCPA :

Basically, the IRS filed a "SFR" or substitute for return on your behalf and assessed tax accordingly

MyVirtualCPA :

The IRS must accept a tax return with your signature on it, so the IRS should process your return that you filed and adjust your tax

MyVirtualCPA :

If not, then you will need to contact them to determine why the changes were not made.

Customer:

Thanks for your help. I will try call again

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm truly sorry that I could not personally resolve your issue

MyVirtualCPA :

If satisfied with our communication, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer