How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3509
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought stock in 2004 for 5,000. In 2011 I sold and received

This answer was rated:

I bought stock in 2004 for 5,000. In 2011 I sold and received a check for 4638. XXXXX XXXXX turn a 1099-b for 4638. I received a tax notice for 1297. Isn't this a loss an should the sale of stock been taxed at 30%. What can I file to show a loss?
Welcome. THANK YOU for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to help make YOUR life, a little...LESS taxing.

Since you sold the stock for less than the purchase price, it is a loss. Did you report the sale of the stock on your tax return (Schedule D and form 8949)? If you did not report the sale, this is why you are receiving a tax bill, because as far as the IRS knows you sold stock and received $4,638, which is considered income, which they are taxing you on. The IRS has no idea of what the purchase price of the stock was. You will need to amend your tax return for the year that the stock was sold to show the sale of the stock, purchase price and selling price.

Link to Schedule D/Instructions:

Form 8949:

Please ket me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.
Tax.appeal.168 and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you