How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12204
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the standard deduction for a single male filing separately

This answer was rated:

What is the standard deduction for a single male filing separately and married ($5950) and the exemption for being of age 81 as claimed by the number on line 6d which is 1.

NPVAdvisor :


NPVAdvisor :

Actually there is not an additional exemption

NPVAdvisor :

The is, however, an increased standard deduction

NPVAdvisor :

For 2012 that number, given the number in the box is one ... is 7100

NPVAdvisor :

Hope this helps

NPVAdvisor :


NPVAdvisor :

I still don't see you coming into the chat, so I'll move us to the "Question and Answer" mode ... Maybe that will help ... (We can still continue a dialogue there, just not in real-time chat as we can here)

NPVAdvisor :

Let me know if you have questions

NPVAdvisor :

It now looks as if you've stepped into the chat but back out again..... I'll give it a few


I am trying to address my tax concerns. While I asked you of the proper amounts to be inserted onto my tax form copy, so that I could check any error I was preparing another question relative to a late payment. I was typing up a followup as I awaited your response. Thanks for your waiting as I am not a good typist

Lane and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Hi Frances,

... just checking back in, as I never saw you come into the chat.

Again, the standard deduction in your situation would be $7100 for 2012.

Let me know if you have any questions.


If this HAS helped, I would appreciate a feedback rating of 3 (OK) or better … That's the only way they will pay us here.

But again, if you need more on this, PLEASE COME BACK here, so you won't be charged for another question.

No problem, whatsoever.

THis Q & A method gives us more time ... and we can go back and forth until you've gotten everything you need.

I'll be waiting
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Late Payment Charge. Envelope forwarded to my temporary address unopened without any Postal notation such as wrong address and not supplying the necessary postage.

1. Saw Postal supervisor of Milford,PA. station who without any comments said he would handle this mailing. No receipt given.

2. Unopened envelope with a payment and a tax form dated 4/10/13.

3. Can obtain a copy of my bank payment check dated 4/10/ 13

How would you advise me to respond to this IRS notice?

I would reply (to the address provided on the letter, with exactly what you have said here, and ask for "Reasonable Cause Abatement."

Reasonable cause is based on all the facts and circumstances in each situation and allows the IRS to provide relief from a penalty that would otherwise be assessed.

Reasonable cause relief is generally granted when the taxpayer exercised ordinary business care and prudence in determining their tax obligations but nevertheless failed to comply with those obligations.

The criteria that the IRS uses (from an internal manual for IRS managers) are as follows:

"Taxpayers have reasonable cause when their conduct justifies the non-assertion or abatement of a penalty. Each case must be judged individually based on the facts and circumstances at hand. Consider the following in conjunction with specific criteria identified in the remainder of this subsection:

What happened and when did it happen?

During the period of time the taxpayer was non-compliant, what facts and circumstances prevented the taxpayer from filing a return, paying a tax, and/or otherwise complying with the law?

How did the facts and circumstances result in the taxpayer not complying?

How did the taxpayer handle the remainder of their affairs during this time?

Once the facts and circumstances changed, what attempt did the taxpayer make to comply?"

If you uses each of these criteria in your explanation and show how you have satisfied these (and from the facts you provide, I believe you have a good case, if you have never requested abatement of penalty before, it is my opinion that they will grant abatement.

Do include copies of checks, bank records, anything that will substantiate.


Related Tax Questions