Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I filed for an extension, which was approved and sent $5000

check to reduce the final...
I filed for an extension, which was approved and sent $5000 check to reduce the final tax payment and penalties. Today I got a check from Treasury for the $5000 + interest. Why? Doesn't this cause me a higher penalty?
7/6/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

Have you filed your tax return yet?

Customer:

fine! have not finalized the taxes yet.

MyVirtualCPA :

Okay, then I am confused why they sent the money back. It must be a mistake.

MyVirtualCPA :

You can call 1-800-829-1040 and speak with someone about your account

MyVirtualCPA :

to find out why they sent the payment back

Customer:

Retired last year, and got married and tried to do our taxes like usual. When I realized after 6 months that the Federal retirement board did not take any taxes out of my retirement check, and didn't notify me of such until Dec. I owed a large amount of taxes. Decided to take a good look at all info before I finalized the taxes

MyVirtualCPA :

That's fine...you don't have to file until October 15 if you are on extension

Customer:

ok. Thank you! I will call the number you gave me!

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer:

no thank you!