How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3509
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Last year, I filed several years worth of GA State Tax Returns

This answer was rated:

Last year, I filed several years worth of GA State Tax Returns (about 10 yrs). About 6 weeks later, I moved. I figured that if they were not able to contact me in time by mail that I would surely receive a phone call. However, I have not heard anything and it's almost been a year. I have checked to see if my name is XXXXX XXXXX list for delinquent tax payers and there is no record of me on file. I want to get this resolved, but I am a little nervous about contacting them directly. All of my returns are 1040ez, with a low paying position in customer service so I'm not a rich person trying to hide assets. I was looking at the Volunteer Disclosure Program, but I want to be sure that this would be an option for me. What do you think?
Welcome. THANK YOU for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to help make YOUR life, a little...LESS taxing.

I understand the nervousness, but unfortunately, since you have not heard anything, the only way that you will be able to find out whether or not the returns have been received is to contact the taxing agency (ies). Did you send in the tax returns to both federal and state? If you did send in both the state and federal copies, here is what you can do;

1) For federal; you can either contact them yourself by calling 1-800-829-1040, or you can hire a tax professional to contact them for you. You will need to complete a Form 8821, which grants authorization to the individual to request tax information on your account.

Link to Form 8821/instructions:

2) As for the state of Georgia, you, or someone else will need to contact them as well for information on those returns. If you hire a tax professional, you will need to complete a Form RD-1061, which is the state of Georgia's Department of Revenue Power of Attorney.

Link to Form RD-1061:

At the following link you will find a list of contact telephone numbers;

As for your question relating to voluntary disclosure. It is usually better to voluntary disclose then for the taxing agency to find out and then come after you.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.

Tax.appeal.168 and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions