How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15185
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to help my son out. I want to lease him my 3/4

This answer was rated:

I am trying to help my son out. I want to lease him my 3/4 ton pickup for him to use as a welding truck. Can I take the standard mileage deduction when I file my taxes?

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
You would not be claiming mileage if you are leasing the use of the truck to him. He would claim expenses of the lease on his tax return.

Robin D :

He can claim teh standard mileage rate for the lease based on the miles he logs for business use.

Robin D :

sorry * the standard

Customer: So I will pay tax on the income?
Robin D :


Robin D :

You will show the payments to you as rental

Customer: So I would be better off selling it to him?
Robin D :

He would still be allowed his deductions and if you do not have a gain on the sale you woudl pay no tax

Customer: So he can deduct what he pays me? Will that be considered business expense on his part?
Robin D :

Yes it would be, he would show the truck on his Schedule C if he is sole proprietor

Customer: Thanks.
Robin D :

You are most welcome

Robin D :

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.


Robin D. and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you