Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have filed an wextension. My problem is with my w2. w2 datA…

Customer Question
I have filed an wextension...
I have filed an wextension. My problem is with my w2.
w2 datA LINE1 12000 EARNINGS LINE2 0
LINE3 103355 LINE4 4341
LINE5 103355 LINE6 1499
\
IWORKED IN CHINA FROM 1/2012 UNTIL 5/28/2012

I DONT KNOW HIW TO FILE WITH THESE NUMBERS
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
7/5/2013
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 5 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
IWORKED IN CHINA FROM 1/2012 UNTIL 5/28/2012 Are you still in China or were you there till 2013? If so you can use the Form 2555 to exclude income which is shown in Box 1 of your W2. If not then you would only place Box 1 amount on Line 7 of your 1040 as wages.
Your Box 2 is the federal taxes withheld. This would be the actual amount of tax that was withheld for federal.

Robin D :

The boxes 3 and 5 are income that was taxable not for Income Tax but for Social Security and Medicare. Those amounts are not needed on your 1040 for filing.

Robin D :

If you were only in China (or any other foreign country) for less than 330 days in a 12 month period you may not exclude your income.
Generally, to meet the physical presence test, you must be physically present in a foreign country or countries for at least 330 full days during the 12-month period. You can count days you spent abroad for any reason. You do not have to be in a foreign country only for employment purposes. You can be on vacation time.

JACUSTOMER-kc98cg4g- :

I said i worked in china from 1/1/20`12 to 5/28/2012

Robin D :

I read that

Robin D :

But were you still outside the US for the remainder of 2012?

JACUSTOMER-kc98cg4g- :

i paid chinese taxes on the $103355 no what

Robin D :

The W2 you mentioned

JACUSTOMER-kc98cg4g- :

i nworked in the us fromn5/28/2012 to 12/31/2012

Robin D :

Ok for 2012 you will not be allowed to exclude any

Robin D :

but

Robin D :

you can use the Form 1116 to claim a credit for taxes that you paid in China on teh same amount that you will be taxed in teh US

Robin D :

You said you paid tax in China

Robin D :

So you will need to use the income tax you paid on the $12000 that is listed in your Box 1

Robin D :

The Form 2555 is not allowed for you if you did not met the time but the Double Tax relief for you is the Form 1116

Robin D :

On your 1040 you will list the $12,000 for wages on Line 7

Robin D :

Then $0 for taxes withheld on page 2 but on the Form 1116 you will receive credit for tax you paid in China which will carry over to your 1040 line 47

JACUSTOMER-kc98cg4g- :

hello

Robin D :

yes

Robin D :

Can you still view all I posted above?

Robin D :

Are you still with me?

Robin D :

I can switch to Regular Q&A but we will not be allowed to CHAT real time if I do.

Robin D :

Just continue here if you are able.

Robin D :

If I do not receive a post from you I will change our session to regular Q&A

I changed us to Q&A and I hope you now can see the full session. Please let me know if you cannot before you rate.
Rating let's Just Answer know you were assisted.