How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

At our church an audition to hire agreement with a music

This answer was rated:

At our church an audition to hire agreement with a music director for the next three Sundays is underway. Our agreement with him is for the Sundays of July 7, 14, and 21. We gave him the contract and paperwork to complete.

He is fine with his pay as a contract 1099 employee, and has asked if we might consider an alternative. Would we be willing to pay him as a 1099 vendor through his 501(c)3 non-profit, Pacific Northwest Schola Cantorum, especially for July since it is a trial period? The same question would apply if we were to hire him permanently.

Is this OK?




Hi Julia and welcome to Just Answer!
There is no issues if services will be provided by the 501c3 non-profit organization instead of a physical person - that is not an issue.
However - in this case - your church's contract should be signed by that 501c3 non-profit organization and you need to request a tax ID of the 501c3 non-profit organization.
In this case - no need to issue form 1099, but a payment must be made directly to the 501c3 non-profit organization. If you will pay with a check - it should be written to the name of the 501c3 non-profit organization - not to a physical person.

Lev and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions