Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I filed 2012 income tax as the surviving spouse IRS wanted

Customer Question
a copy of his death...
I filed 2012 income tax as the surviving spouse IRS wanted a copy of his death cert.which I mailed in,it was received April5 2013 why have I not received the refund yet I am his widow and need the return money on the refund page it has said the same thing for 2 months I have not been asked for anymore info.how can I get this return or how can I find out what to do!
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Tax
7/4/2013
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
Sorry for your situation.
I agree that three months is way too long for your tax return to be processed.
First of all - you need to verify the status of your refund online on the IRS site.

LEV :

Unfortunately - this service will be unavailable until 6:00 a.m. on Saturday, July 6, 2013.
So you will be able to verify only after that time.

LEV :

Generally - you should be given information about your refund.
If that information will not be available - you woudl need to contact the IRS directly.

LEV :

The phone number is XXXXX - please be prepared to wait.

LEV :

If you're more comfortable talking with someone face-to-face, visit your local IRS office - no appointment is necessary.
Here are locations in your state - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-My-Local-Office-in-Florida
There are also contact numbers for local offices and hours they are opened.

LEV :

Please be aware that the IRS will provide your refund information ONLY to you personally or to your representative. So you need to contact personally.

LEV :

Unfortunately - there is no way to contact the IRS right away and you would need to contact them after holidays.
Let me know if you need any clarification this matter.

Just in case you were not able to use the chat - I am switching to Q&A mode and porting the answer below.
Please feel free to communicate if you need any clarification or have other tax related issues.

Sorry for your situation.

:

Here is the address to start - https://sa2.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp

:

:

:

:

:

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor