Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I filed 2012 income tax as the surviving spouse IRS wanted

Customer Question

I filed 2012 income tax as the surviving spouse IRS wanted a copy of his death cert.which I mailed in,it was received April5 2013 why have I not received the refund yet I am his widow and need the return money on the refund page it has said the same thing for 2 months I have not been asked for anymore info.how can I get this return or how can I find out what to do!
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 3 years ago.

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
Sorry for your situation.
I agree that three months is way too long for your tax return to be processed.
First of all - you need to verify the status of your refund online on the IRS site.

LEV :

Unfortunately - this service will be unavailable until 6:00 a.m. on Saturday, July 6, 2013.
So you will be able to verify only after that time.

LEV :

Generally - you should be given information about your refund.
If that information will not be available - you woudl need to contact the IRS directly.

LEV :

The phone number is XXXXX - please be prepared to wait.

LEV :

If you're more comfortable talking with someone face-to-face, visit your local IRS office - no appointment is necessary.
Here are locations in your state - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-My-Local-Office-in-Florida
There are also contact numbers for local offices and hours they are opened.

LEV :

Please be aware that the IRS will provide your refund information ONLY to you personally or to your representative. So you need to contact personally.

LEV :

Unfortunately - there is no way to contact the IRS right away and you would need to contact them after holidays.
Let me know if you need any clarification this matter.

Expert:  Lev replied 3 years ago.

Just in case you were not able to use the chat - I am switching to Q&A mode and porting the answer below.
Please feel free to communicate if you need any clarification or have other tax related issues.

Sorry for your situation.

:

Here is the address to start - https://sa2.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp

:

:

:

:

: