Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

i am a acc beneficially and my son turns 20 in september.my

question is,am i entitled to...
i am a acc beneficially and my son turns 20 in september.my question is,am i entitled to backclaim for tax benefits for my son
7/3/2013
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
You are entitled to claim a childcare tax credit - if your child(ren) was either under 18 or unable to work because of a disability and you paid a person or organisation (eg, a créche, Barnardos, kindergarten) for childcare and have receipts, you can claim a tax credit if:
• you were a single parent, or
• you and your spouse/partner were employed or self-employed, (this doesn’t apply to couples who are separated), or
• you or your partner were disabled or physically unable to care for your child(ren).
See for reference second page left column - http://www.ird.govt.nz/resources/a/e/ae763b004eed52ddaa94eab6c72de7d5/ir526-2012.pdf

LEV :

So you may only claim childcare tax credit if your child is disabled.
In additional - please be aware that as part of the Government 2012 Budget, the tax credit for children was repealed from 1 April 2012 and the entitlement to claim it was withdrawn in May 2012.
See for reference - http://www.ird.govt.nz/changes/children/

Just in case you were not able to use the chat - I am switching to Q&A mode and porting the answer below.
Please feel free to communicate if you need any clarification or have other tax related issues.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
• you were a single parent, or

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor