Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

What will happen to the current IRS leins when divorced?

Answered in 1 minute by:
7/3/2013
Richard, Tax Attorney
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Can you tell me about the IRS liens? Are they for past due taxes due from both spouses? Thanks.

They are from joint returns from years 2006 thru 2010. Tax returns were not submitted during this time frame. I failed to review/ensure taxes were getting filed and now owe approximately 85,000. Taxes were withheld from my pay, however he was filing exempt. I am paying monthly installments with the IRS (solely). Will he be mandated to pay half or will the responsibility lie with me? He has been unemployed for the last 14 months.

Thanks so much for replying. Have you addressed the tax issue in your divorce settlement?

I am unsure if you received my last response (the page is not updating after 2 submissions). I have not filed for divorce or legal separation as of yet.

Thanks for following up...I had not received it! You will want to specifically address this in any settlement agreement between the two of you. There are two contractual relationships here...the one between the two of you and the IRS, and then the one between you two. As between the you two and the IRS, each of you is going to be jointly and severally liable to the IRS and the IRS can pursue either or both of you for the tax owed. But, between the two of you, you want to address this specifically in your settlement agreement, so that if the IRS collects more than the share allocated to you in your settlement agreement with your spouse, then you have a right to sue your spouse for the disproportionate amount you have paid.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard, Tax Attorney
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/
Richard, Tax Attorney