Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

if i file a 1040 do i need to also file a 1120s. i have a

Customer Question
if i file a 1040...
if i file a 1040 do i need to also file a 1120s. i have a sub s corp
and other assets and income from property
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Tax
7/3/2013
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 4 years ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Welcome. THANK YOU for choosing Just Answer. My name is Angela and my goal is to help make YOUR life, a little...LESS taxing.

If you have a Sub-S corp, you are required to file a Form 1120-S for the corporation and the form 1040 for your personal taxes. A Schedule K-1 is generated through the S corp. The Schedule K-1 reflects your profits or losses from the S-corp which are reported on the Form 1040.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST Answer.

so is the schedule k all i need or do i have to file a separate 1120s?

Hello again Merrill,

You have to file the entire 1120-S tax return. The Schedule K-1 is part of the 1120-S filing.

Here is how it works;

You complete the 1120-S first. This way you'll know what your profit or loss is from the corp. That information is reported on the 1120-S K1 (there are different K1's, be sure to use the one that applies to the S-corp). A copy of the Schedule K-1 is generated for your tax records. When preparing your 1040, make sure you enter the applicable information from the Schedule K-1. The information from the Schedule K-1 will be reflected on line 17 of the form 1040. The 1120-S gets sent to the applicable address, and the 1040 gets sent to thr applicable address.

Let me know if this clarifies matters for you.
Hello Merrill,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but have not yet rated it. Please let me know if you require further assistance with this matter.

Thank you
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant