Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have medical expenses I paid out of my pocket to the value

of approx R9500.00. My...
I have medical expenses I paid out of my pocket to the value of approx R9500.00. My question to you is can I claim for reimbursement on my tax return. Is the full value of 9500 to be refunded or part thereof. Many thanks for your assistance.
7/3/2013
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,

An allowance for the contributions and expenses will only be allowed to the extent that the aggregate amount thereof exceeds 7.5% of your taxable income after deducting retirement fund contributions, donations to approved public benefit organisations, capped medical scheme contributions and any other allowable deductions. Any retirement fund” lump sum benefit amount you have received must also be excluded from your taxable income for purposes of the 7.5% calculation.

Robin D :

So, no, you will not get the expenses refunded to you and you will need to look to see if the expenses are more than 7.5% of your taxable income. This is an allowance and not something that is just refunded back to you.

Robin D :

SARs has the calculations and you would first see your taxable income the apply the 7.5% and the amount over the 7.5% is the allowance not all of your medical.

Robin D :

Also your expenses must be to qualified medical.

Robin D :

Expenses that have been paid by you during the tax year to any duly registered –
• medical practitioner, dentist, optometrist, homeopath, naturopath, osteopath, herbalist, physiotherapist, chiropractor or orthopaedist for professional services rendered and medicines supplied; or
• nursing home or hospital or any duly registered or enrolled nurse, midwife or nursing assistant (or to any nursing agency for the services of such nurse, midwife or nursing assistant), for illness or confinement; or
• pharmacist for medicines as prescribed by a person

Robin D :

I thank you in advance for a positive rating

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4