Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

tax law: I moved from Irvine, California to hartford, CT in

Sept. 2010. and then moved...
tax law: I moved from Irvine, California to hartford, CT in Sept. 2010. and then moved from Hartford, CT to Jersey City, NJ, in Dec, 2011.

from Sept. 2010 to Dec. 2011, I worked as full time employee more than 39 weeks or 12 months. from Dec, 2011 to now, i worked as full time employee more than 39 weeks or 12 months.
both move that I did not receive relocation reimbursement from my employer.

in my case, can I deduct moving expense in 2010 and 2011? Thanks.
7/2/2013
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,

Robin D :

The moving expense would be allowed as long as you meet the time test (you must work full-time for at least 39 weeks during the first 12 months immediately following your arrival in the general area of your new job location)

Robin D :

Which you stated you did

Robin D :

and

Robin D :

The 50 mile test is met.

Robin D :

You should be allowed the deductions for both your moves

Robin D :

Please let me know if you need more but here is a link to the IRS topics on this subject
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc455.html

Robin D :

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

Robin D :

Customer Last Viewed Today at 11:59

Robin D :

Did you need clarification after you viewed?

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Thanks!

My 2010 and 2011 tax is under auditing. If empoyer can not issue formal letter to state that they did not reimburse me for relocation, can I use offer letter ?(Offer letter does not include any term for relocation). Thanks.

Yes, you are just wanting to make sure that you have the documentation that shows your moved, you did work for the time required, and you met the distance requirement.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4