Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Hi, Redoing 2011 taxes with for 1040x. Retired in 2010 with…

Customer Question
Hi, Redoing 2011 taxes...
Hi, Redoing 2011 taxes with for 1040x. Retired in 2010 with railroad retirement. In 2011 I recieved an RRB 1099-r with $49,530 contributory amount paid. I didn't get a rrb 1099 that shows SSEB. Of the $49.530, 27,960 was tier 1 and 21,570 was tier 2. Could you tell mw how these are taxed? XXXXX XXXXX Washington, IN
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
7/2/2013
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 5 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
Equivalent tier 1 railroad retirement benefits are the part of tier 1 benefits that a railroad employee or beneficiary would have been entitled to receive under the social security system. They are commonly called the social security equivalent benefit (SSEB) portion of tier 1 benefits. These are under the same rules for taxable amount like SS payments. You may have some taxable or none taxable depending on your income and filing status.

Tier 2 benefits consist of the rest of the Tier 1 benefits, called the "non-social security equivalent benefits," any Tier 2 benefits, vested dual benefits, and supplemental annuity benefits, they are taxed as pensions.