Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I keep getting conflicting answers regarding the Colorado gift

tax rate after the $14,000...
I keep getting conflicting answers regarding the Colorado gift tax rate after the $14,000 exemption amount. I want to give my son and daughter more than $14,000. I understand the Federal law and filing the Form 709. However, when it comes to Colorado, my lawyer says not to worry because Colorado has no gift tax and yet my tax man says be very careful because Colorado does tax gifts over $14,000. I called Colorado Department of Revenue and couldn't get an answer.
Please, will you clarify this? I believe my tax man is right. I just need to know what the Colorado tax rate is after the $14,000. I called my tax man back for the tax rate and left a message on his voicemail but haven't heard back.
This seems like such an elementary question and it's driving me crazy that I cannot get an answer. I've come across 28%, 35%, 40% and higher. I need to have an answer I know is correct so I can plan. Please help.
6/26/2013
Richard, Tax Attorney
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Colorado has no gift tax so there is no tax on a gift over $14,000 in Colorado. The website of the Colorado Department of Revenue states this specifically: http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Revenue/REVX/1177017542064

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard, Tax Attorney
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/
Richard, Tax Attorney