Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

If I NEED TO CHANGE MY ADDRESS(I PUT IT WRONG) IN MY TAX RETURN

If I NEED TO CHANGE MY ADDRESS(I PUT IT WRONG) IN MY TAX RETURN 2012 WHICH I HAVE ALREADY FILED WHAT KIND OF FORM SHOULD I SEND TO IRS?

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,

Robin D :

If you change your address after filing your return, you should notify the post office that services your old address. Because not all post offices forward government checks, notifying the post office that services your old address ensures that your mail will be forwarded, but not necessarily your refund check. To change your address with the IRS, you may complete a Form 8822

Robin D :

Your question was moved to the Tax category because it deals with a tax form and procedure.

Robin D :

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

Robin D :

I really enjoyed assisting you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another tax question.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If this is just a correction of address should I still file 8822? If yes, may I e-file this form?

Yes, to correct your address you would need to file the 8822. You must mail the form it is not allowed for e-file. In the section for old address you would list the incorrect address you supplied on the return.