How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

"Taxable Gain on Sale of Home"

This answer was rated:

I'm figuring out the "Taxable Gain on Sale of Home". I moved to California two and a half years ago, renting my house out when I left. I'm now selling my house. In IRS publication 523 it states: >>>>>>>>>> Exceptions. A period of nonqualified use does not include: Any portion of the 5-year period ending on the date of the sale or exchange after the last date you (or your spouse) use the property as a main home; >>>>>>>>>> So, does that mean that I shouldn't count the past 2.5 years of renting out the house after my move as "non-qualified" use?


At this link:

It says that I have to take into account the depreciation I claimed, but I'd still have a 250K exclusion in my situation. Is that true?

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today

MyVirtualCPA :

You are correct, the 2.5 years does not count as "nonqualified use"


Great! Thanks!

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome

Megan C and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you