Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How is the best way to settle an Ohio income tax lien ?

Answered in 1 hour by:
6/21/2013
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome and thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you with your tax question.

Unfortunately, the Ohio tax assessment and collection process is overwhelming and not easy to understand by the taxpayer. Since Ohio has already filed a tax lien against you, my advice would be to either offer a settlement amount and/or contact the Ohio Problem Resolution Office at Ohio Department of Taxation, Problem Resolution Office, P. O. Box 530, Columbus, Ohio 43215.

My point of reference is the following: http://www.cincinnatitaxlawyer.com/areas-of-tax-practice/ohio-tax-problems.html.

From everything I have read, you will have a difficult task ahead of you, and I wish you the best of luck.

Please let me know if you need further information or clarification. Thank you.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Welcome to the site. Different expert here, with a different take on your income tax collection question.

There are a number of steps available to you, but the first is a thorough review of the tax involved, the tax year, and the supporting facts that created the tax liability.

Ohio state taxes can have as short as a seven year statute of limitations on collection, and the reason for the tax debt sets the collection statute. for example, if you were audited by IRS for a prior year, and owed additional tax, it's likely you owed additional Ohio tax as well. That collection statute will be different if you just filed, say, your 2005 Ohio return, and didn't pay the tax with the return.

If you could provide some more specifics, I will be glad to try and pinpoint how to make the determination. Additionally, Ohio is limited in how they can collect state taxes. Since you don't have assets to attach (they love real estate liens) a negotiated settlement (an Offer in Compromise) might have been an option. The problem in Ohio is you must first pay the tax to request a settlement, and what's the point with most of what you owe being taxes?

If you continue to work and reside in the state, in some cases all Ohio can do is pursue tax refunds. If you manage your withholdings so that there are no Ohio or IRS refunds coming, you can in some cases not pay, and wait out the time until their tax debt expires, legally uncollectible.

If you do have a follow up question, please specify which Expert you wish assistance from. I'm PDtax.

Just a short note to thank you for the "excellent" rating. If you have any questions in the future, please feel free to put "for bkb1956" in the subject line, and I will be happy to assist you. Once again, I wish you the best of luck with your tax lien problem. Best regards.
Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent