Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

how will be taxed by the irs and the state of mn if I take

possession of my deceased fathers...
how will be taxed by the irs and the state of mn if I take possession of my deceased fathers (paid for) house.
6/20/2013
Richard, Tax Attorney
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. Can you tell me the value of the estate overall and the cost of the house? And, when did your dad die? Thanks.

overall estate...350,000 house 145,500 decedent died 04/07/2013.

Thanks for following up. You will have no tax impact. Minnesota has no inheritance tax. And, the estate has no tax because it is under the Federal exemption amount of $5,250,000 and under the Minnesota exemption amount of $1,000,000. Your basis in the house will be increased ("stepped up") to its fair market value as of the date of death; so, if you decide to sell it there will be no gain on the sale unless it later appreciates after death. And, because there is no gain, there would be no tax due on the sale either.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

how will this effect my personal tax return, will it be considered capital gains, and will the estate tax return be completely separate from mine?

It will not impact your personal tax return at all. This is an inheritance to you and thus is not income to you. Thus, you have no reporting or tax obligations relating to this inheritance. Only when you sell the property would you report the sale on your income tax, but even then, there would only be gain if you sell if for more than it's worth as of the date of your dad's death. Given that you are beneath the exemption level for estate taxes, you need not file an estate tax return.
Richard, Tax Attorney
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/

Thank you also for the generous bonus! I appreciate your kindness!
Richard, Tax Attorney