Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Hello - I am in the process of applying for 501C3 status for

my church. If we have...
Hello - I am in the process of applying for 501C3 status for my church. If we have 501C3 status by the end of 2013, are all donation given through out the year tax deductable?
6/19/2013
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
Yes they will be. While waiting for status, a nonprofit may consider the status approved. When a nonprofit applies for the 501c3 status they normally must advise contributors that they have applied and will advise if the contributions are not deductible.

Robin D :

You may enjoy reading this publication from the IRS for churches
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1828.pdf

Robin D :

Just in case you do not have it yet.

Customer:

Ok, so the only issue we will run into is if the 501C3 status is not approved by Dec 31st?

Robin D :

That is correct

Robin D :

Churches normally are approved.

Customer:

Ok, thank you so much! Have a great day!

Robin D :

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

Robin D :

I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.

Customer:

Will do! Thank you!

Robin D :

Best wishes and you are most welcome

Robin D :

Please let me know if you have any problem rating.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4