How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29569
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister had POA for my mothers estate, but my mother was

This answer was rated:

My sister had POA for my mother's estate, but my mother was never dedlared incompitant. She took $50,000 of mother's money for down payment on a house, none of her brother;s or sister were told about this. Also after my Mother died there was $250,000 to $300,000 unaccounted for. From what I've read She may have commited crimes, especially with the IRS. Can I inform the IRS? How do I inform tha IRS?


Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
Your mother had rights to appoint POA. Any person may appoint another by signing a form POA.
Specifically for tax issues - following form should be used -‎
The POA is required to act in the best interest of the person who appointed her - in your case in teh best interest of your mother.
Based on your information - your sister simply stole the money - and if that is correct - you need to file a report to the local police. The investigator will be assigned - and if she committed a crime - the case will go to the court. If the court confirms the crime - the information will be sent to the IRS - and she will be required to include into her income the stolen amount - and will owe additional taxes on that income.

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you