How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anne Your Own Question
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2439
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Anne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I understand that to qualify Foreign currency transactions,

This answer was rated:

I understand that to qualify Foreign currency transactions, it must be held for 1 year and 1 day. I have read the Publication 525 (2012) on Foreign currency transaction that it would be considered a capital gain at the current rate of 20%. But I have read other articles that it would be considered ordinary income , and taxed at the highest rate of 39.6 + 3.8 Medicare Investment tax :Obamacare" Does anyone have a factual answer..xxxxx xxxxx

Hi Sonny

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, in all probability, any foreign currency transaction that results in a gain will be considered as ordinary income.

Please see below: (this is NOT an IRS website. )

26 USC § 988 - Treatment of certain foreign currency transactions


Just in case the link doesn't work, here's the web address:



I truly hope this information is helpful but please do not rate until you are satisfied. If you want to click on 1 or 2 just click on the continue to work with me button instead. You will then be able to add any other info or respond to what I have posted so far. Rating 3-5 gives me credit and a good rating but you can still converse with me.

Anne and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you very much for the accept and the excellent rating!

Please feel free to ask for me by name if I can help you in the future.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have gotten conflicting states from many CPA's and International Tax attorneys. Some say when you exchange the Foreign there is no tax. Some say that you will be taxed as capital gains., 20% + 3.8 Medicare tax. Some say, it will be treated as ordinary income. If I go to all the banks worldwide, and I know Wells Fargo is the only Bank that will exchange the Iraqi Dinar as of this time is true. But, as Iraq goes from Chapter 7 to Chapter 6, and they Kuwait 11 billion dollars that is owed them, then the RV will take place, no one knows when or how much the Iraqi Dinar will be RV now. Some say $ 1.00 to $1.00 U.S. , some say as $3.32 - 3.50 the Iraqi Dinar will RV to. Time will tell, I am prepared to go to overseas banks they deal with foreign exchange and open offshore bank accounts. Sometime I hope soon there will be one and only answer. But, when you say in all probability any foreign exchange would be treated as ordinary income There is a Supreme court ruling that states that it is not ordinary income. I have that in my archives. June 27 th , is the day that Iraq will be clean of Chapter 7, then go into chapter 6. They must RV if they are going to survive. the UN, the WTO/IMF all see this happening very soon. When , is anyone guess.

Hi again

I can understand why you keep getting different answers. The language of the law is, at times, ambiguous.

However, if you look at the bottom of page 11 ofOutline Taxation of Foreign Currency Transactions and Translation
I hope that this may help.