How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillip B, EA Your Own Question
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 704
Experience:  Practicing since 2004. Expert in 1040, small business, represent vs. IRS, & int'l tax mattters.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Phillip B, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Similar situation to couple renting a condo to daughter/son-in-law.

This answer was rated:

Similar situation to couple renting a condo to daughter/son-in-law. Your final answer was the $10,000 income could be considered Gifting by daughter/son-in-law.

Our situation is that our daughter resides in our condo (which we consider our second home) and pays (what we consider condo expense sharing) $1,200 per month. Some months we waive payments. Condo is held in a Trust and she is beneficiary of trust.

Since this comes in at $14,400, i.e.,over the $13,000 allowable annual Gift from our daughter to us, how should we treat the overage?

Since we don't consider this a rental unit, we do not take depreciation or itemize maintenance expenses (we do deduct mortgage interest and r.e. taxes.)

Thanks for using, and thank you for requesting me.

Both you and your spouse have an annual 13,000 dollar exclusion to each individual you give. So, you can give your daughter up to 26,000 dollars annually (13,000 dollars from each of you) without incurring a gift tax consequence.

Thanks for your business. If this answers your question, please rate my performance between OK and Excellent so that I may receive credit for my answer. If there are any additional questions, please reply to this answer so that I may assist you further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

But, my daughter is "gifting" us with her $1,200 (almost) monthly payments.



She can give 13,000 dollars to each person (you and your husband are considered separately in this situation) as well, so there is still no gift tax consequence on her end.

Phillip B, EA and 5 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you