How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anne Your Own Question
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2429
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Anne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need help with a FTX charge from 1989

This answer was rated:

I need help with a FTX charge from 1989

Thank you for using justanswer.

I can well understand your confusion and shock. If you look at this link:

it gives you some background on why CA is able to continue to accrue penalty and interest. I wanted you to know the law (you would fall under the "State Extended by Federal Determination)

Its important that you know the law so that you can fight it.

If I were you, I would call the phone # XXXXX the letter/bill you received. I would simply state the fact that you moved from CA to TX, that you had filed all of your returns timely. That there was no intent of fraud, and can they work with you.

You may have to call back more than once to get someone you can work with.

One of my first questions would be why hadn't they notified me before now. If they state that they have, ask them for the date and address they sent the notification to.

Again, make sure that they know that you were not aware of this problem, and again, that there was no intention of fraud. That you're just trying to understand how this happened.

You may also want to read this

since it was an audit that you were never notified about that started all of this.

I wish you the best of luck, and remember that you may ask follow up questions at no further charge.

I truly hope this information is helpful but please do not rate until you are satisfied. If you want to click on 1 or 2 just click on the continue to work with me button instead. You will then be able to add any other info or respond to what I have posted so far. Rating 3-5 gives me credit and a good rating but you can still converse with me.


Anne and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you very much for the accept and the positive rating!

Please feel free to ask for me by name if I can help you in the future.

Related Tax Questions