Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I have been granted restricted shares (RSAs) which vest 25%

I have been granted restricted shares (RSA's) which vest 25% per quarter over a 1 year period, as a director of a public company.

I have filed an 83b, within 30 days of the grant date. When do I have to pay the estimated tax---now or ech quarter as the shares vest?

Welcome and thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you with your tax question.

Generally, you are subject to income tax when your restricted stock grant vests. The
taxable income is the difference between the purchase price (usually $0) and
the market value on the vest date. If you wish to pay your taxes early, you can file a Section 83(b) election to accelerate the calculation and payment of income tax to the grant date. You have stated that you filed a Section 83(b) within 30 days of the grant date; therefore, the payment of income tax would be due at that time and based on the value of the stock on that date.

My point of reference for this answer is the following https://us.etrade.com/e/t/estation/help?id=1908050100,
which contains additional information you may find useful.

Thank you.

Hi, Kevin.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards.

Hi, Kevin.

Just a short note to thank you for your positive rating and very generous bonus. Both are most appreciated. If you have any questions in the future, please feel free to put "for bkb1956" in the subject line, and I will be happy to assist you. Recommendations to family and friends are also always appreciated.

Barb