Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have a project that I am the general contractor, my usual

role is a sub-contractor mainly...
I have a project that I am the general contractor, my usual role is a sub-contractor mainly in tax exempt school projects; however, this project is a residental project where I supply the materials and installation. The customer doesn't care how I invoice for the work - materials seperate from labor, % of completetion on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.

What is taxable and what is not taxable?
6/10/2013
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome and thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you with your tax question.

I am assuming you are asking about sales tax. Texas tax law refers to tangible personal property and taxable services as taxable items. Each sale of a taxable item is taxable unless a specific exemption applies. In the case of taxable services, all charges for labor and materials to rebuild, replace, alter, modify or upgrade existing NONRESIDENTIAL realty are taxable.

My point of reference is the following: http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/sales/faq_collect.html

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification. Thank you.

This is a residential project, am I to assume that none of the material or labor therefore is taxable (yes, I'm talking about sales tax)?

Tangible personal property (materials) is taxable. The labor is not because it is a residential project.

Thank you.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Hi, Gene.

Just a short note to thank you for the "excellent" rating. It is most appreciated. If you have any questions in the future, please feel free to put "for bkb1956" in the subject line, and I will be happy to assist you. Recommendations to family and friends are also always appreciated.

Thank you again, and best regards.

Barb
Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent