How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16579
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We prepared a Form 1041, for a Trust for our client for the

This answer was rated:

We prepared a Form 1041, for a Trust for our client for the year ended December 31, 2011, which indicated a loss of $77,453; however, the Schedule K-1 for 2011 reflected zero. For the year ended December 31, 2012, we have income of $57,678. Is there a way that the loss from 2011 can be offset against the income for 2012? Can this be reported on the 1041 for 2012 to obtain the offset?? Please advise.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using

MyVirtualCPA :

No, you cannot net the prior year loss with the current year income. You will have income for 2012.

Megan C and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you