Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
5242771

If a partner dies, what year does his tax year close?

Hi

Thank you for using justanswer. All US citizens, Resident Aliens and Green card holders are on a calendar year for their tax year. That means that if a person passes away on 1/1/14 or 12/31/14, both of their tax years end 12/31/2014. (Income may have to be pro-rated to date of death) but if this partner was your legal spouse, you would file "Married Filing Joint" for the year of his/her death, and you would still subtract their personal exemption.

I truly hope this information is helpful but please do not rate until you are satisfied. If you want to click on 1 or 2 just click on the continue to work with me button instead. You will then be able to add any other info or respond to what I have posted so far. Rating 3-5 gives me credit and a good rating but you can still converse with me.

Thank you for the accept and the excellent rating!

Please feel free to ask for me by name if I can help you in the future