Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My wife was offered and took a job 100 miles away from her

home. Consequently she had to...
My wife was offered and took a job 100 miles away from her home. Consequently she had to travel to the place for various interviews and pre-employment orientations, etc. Also, she has to rent an apartment there because of the long commute. Is any of that tax-deductible?
6/4/2013
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,

Robin D :

That certainly is a long commute.

Robin D :

The expenses for the interviewing are a tax expense that can be used on the Schedule A. As long as the position was still in the filed she normally works in.

Robin D :

Unfortunately, the costs for staying there while she works will not be deductible.

Robin D :

Generally, your tax home is the entire city or general area where your main place of business or work is located, regardless of where you maintain your family home. For example, you live with your family in Chicago but work in Milwaukee where you stay in a hotel and eat in restaurants. You return to Chicago every weekend. You may not deduct any of your travel, meals, or lodging in Milwaukee because that is your tax home. Your travel on weekends to your family home in Chicago is not for your work, so these expenses are also not deductible. If you regularly work in more than one place, your tax home is the general area where your main place of business or work is located.

Customer:

Well, that is not good news. Thank you

Robin D :

I know

Robin D :

There are so many that must do this now may be it will be changed

Robin D :

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

Robin D :

When you visit your question homepage, you’ll see a link to request me again. This link displays and works whether I am online or offline.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4