Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

My fiance owes the IRS back taxes and is paying it off in regular

My fiance owes the IRS back taxes and is paying it off in regular payments over the next 5 years. The IRS also takes his tax returns until the tax debt is resolved. When we marry, if we file jointly, will the IRS take any joint return?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Yes, the IRS will keep any refunds if you file jointly. Until this is resolved, you will want to file separately. Also, in order to avoid any issues should there be a default in his installment agreement, you might want to keep your finances and assets separate until the obligation is paid in full to protect any joint assets and/or accounts being levied by the IRS.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience: 29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Thanks so much for the positive rating and the generous bonus! I appreciate your kindness and the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/

Another expert here - You should also be made aware that the IRS has a procedure in place for people who file married filing jointly, but one of them has outstanding tax debt. The spouse without the debt files Form 8379, the Injured Spouse form, so that spouse will receive their proportionate share of the refund, while the other spouse's portion is kept to pay off the debt. Since married filing separately is the least advantageous filing status, you might be better served to file jointly and utilize Form 8379. Just thought you should know that you do have an option. Thank you.