How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3277
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I dont know how to handle 50% bonus depreciation. I am confused

Customer Question

I don't know how to handle 50% bonus depreciation. I am confused and definitely need a thorough explanation. Perhaps a numerical example. My accountant has filed for an extension. I have a meeting next week and I would like to be informed so I can make the best decision. Here is the situation: I built a solar PV array for $300,000 and put it in service in 2012. I am allowed50% bonus depreciation for the first year. Does this mean that I can depreciate $150.000 the first year? Is my total depreciation $300,000 or do I get an additional $150,000 on top of the $300,000? Will the AMT catch me? I am the only owner of the LLC.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 4 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you with your tax question.


Your question merits a lot of explanation. The best information I have found that is contained in one place which is very easy to understand is at


Please follow along in the text and click on the questions at the bottom. You will start with Section 179 which has a limit of $500,000 for 2012 (retroactive).


After reviewing this information, if you have any other questions, please let me know. I will be available tomorrow and will be happy to further assist you.


Thank you.

Related Tax Questions