How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a U.S. citizen living and working in Mexico for a Mexican

This answer was rated:

I am a U.S. citizen living and working in Mexico for a Mexican university. I am paying federal estimated taxes based on my earnings in Mexico. I would like to continue to contribute to Social Security while I work in Mexico (and continue to earn Social Security credits). Based on what I know, it seems that I should claim the foreign income exclusion for my earnings in Mexico. However, I am concerned that that would mean that I would not be contributing to Social Security. Of course, I want to accurately report my activity to the IRS. I also want to earn Social Security credits. Can I do both? Should I claim the foreign tax exclusion for my earnings in Mexico? Thank you!

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

Unfortunately, there's no way to pay into social security. This work would not be subject to social security

MyVirtualCPA :

You cannot purchase social security credits, so there's no way to pay into social security from this


Thank you.

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome. If you would please rate my response excellent so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Megan C and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you