Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Turbo Tax calculated tax due on 97,864 income was 9,766.

Customer Question
IRS claimed tax due was...
Turbo Tax calculated tax due on 97,864 income was 9,766. IRS claimed tax due was 9,991.00 and that we owe 228.16. Does this agree with the tables you use
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Tax
6/3/2013
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 4 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
I would need to know if that was the calculated taxable income and what the filing status was on the return.

Robin D :

The information you submitted is not enough. If you would like for me to give you an accurate estimate I need to know :
Filing status
number of dependents (any under 17)
Income (name source)
Age of taxpayer

Robin D :

When I say source I mean is it wages or from sale of property, self employment.......

Robin D :

You stated "we owe" so I am going to go on married filing joint.

Robin D :

If the $97864 was all from wages then the taxable income would be $78364

Robin D :

Tax on $78,364 for married would be $11,651

Robin D :

Then any withholding will be shown against the $11,651, the difference would be the true tax liability.

Robin D :

The system advised you stepped into CHAT and then you stepped out of CHAT

Robin D :

I can change to regular Q&A but we will not be able to CHAT real time if I do.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4