How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am planning to go back to my native country eventually, as

This answer was rated:

I am planning to go back to my native country eventually, as a joint account surviving spouse, can i wire money from the account to my native country? What is the maximum amount? Are there forms to fill out? Or would I notify the IRS?


Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
There is no limitations or reporting requirements in the US if you transfer the money from your US account to your account in your native country.
In your native country - you need to verify reporting requirements.
Before leaving the United States or any of its possessions permanently or for an extended amount of time, all U.S. resident aliens and nonresident aliens (with certain exceptions) must prove they have met all federal tax requirements. This is done by obtaining a tax clearance document, commonly called a “sailing permit” or “departure permit”, from the IRS.

Nonresident aliens who have any taxable income and resident aliens leaving the U.S. with no definite plans to return for the year will generally have to complete Form 1040-C, U.S. Departing Alien Income Tax Return, to receive a sailing permit. You must pay all tax shown as due on the Form 1040–C or you must furnish a bond prior to departure. Any tax paid with your Form 1040-C counts as a payment on the annual return filed after the end of the tax year (either a Form 1040NR for nonresident aliens or a Form 1040 for resident aliens). If the IRS sees that leaving the U.S. will not jeopardize the collection of the tax, then the tax may not need to be paid with the Form 1040-C.

Customer: My deceased husband and I have joint properties here like our house and cars and my share of his etate ( which woud take several months yet to settle), do I still need to inform IRS if I transfer the money from our account to my native country. I don't have plans to come back . Can I have a special power of attorney for my cousin who is a US citizen to take care of my properties and pay taxes? Do I need to get a tax attorney here in our city or just a lawyer to help me through it?

No need to inform the IRS about the transfer of the money from your US account to your native country.
However if you sell any assets or take distributions from retirement accounts - these are reported on your tax return.


You do not need a tax attorney. If you need any help to prepare your tax returns - you may hire any local CPA or any tax preparation service.
You may sign a POA form to your cousin.
Here is the form -

Your signature on Form 2848 allows the individual or individuals named to represent you before the IRS and to receive your tax information for the matter(s) and tax year(s)/period(s) specified on the Form 2848.

Customer: Thank you so much for the information Sir LEV! The way you explain is very clearly understood. I really appreciate you. All the best!

You are very welcome.
Please be sure to come back if you need any help.

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you