How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good afternoon, I have brought a wrongful termination action

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon,

I have brought a wrongful termination action in DC Superior Court. I have a question about whether or not the legal fees are deductible on my federal income taxes. If so, please cite the relevant case law or IRS opinions on this matter.

I have looked at IRS Publication 529 entitled Miscellaneous Deductions wherein it states on Page 5, that "You can deduct legal fees related to doing or keeping your job. The facts of my case do not fit neatly within the wording of 529. This is common question. With that said, I believe that the has been case law on this issue and or IRS opinions written on this topic.

This matter has been in court for quite sometime and the legal fees have mounted. In order to pay the legal fees, I have had to withdraw funds from my IRA.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter. It is appreciated.


Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
Generally may be able to deduct attorney fees and court costs paid in connection with the civil action - as long as such expenses are related to taxable income.

Specifically for your situation - please see IRS publication 525 - page 29 - left column -
Deduction for costs involved in unlawful discrimination suits. You may be able to deduct attorney fees and court costs paid to recover a judgment or settlement for a claim of unlawful discrimination under various provisions of federal, state, and local law listed in Internal Revenue Code section 62(e), a claim against the United States government, or a claim under section 1862(b)(3)(A) of the Social Security Act. You can claim this deduction as an adjustment to income on Form 1040, line 36.
Let me know if you need any help.


Thank you very much. I look over the publication that you sited in your answer. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Lev and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you