Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

filed 2011 tax return but inclosed draft Sec C. do i need to

file and amended return of...
filed 2011 tax return but inclosed draft Sec C. do i need to file and amended return of just send in the correct Sec. C.
Was notified by irs of this mistake
6/3/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

The IRS sent you notification of this? What is the number on the notice?

Customer:

LTR12C a letter stating that the Income on 1040 does not match the Sec C Income. This is because I enclosed the wrong

Customer:

Sec C with the return. The Sec C I enclosed was before additional revisions. Questions is can I just send

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, you respond to that letter and send the correct Schedule C

Customer:

in the correct Sec C or do I have to file an amended return?

MyVirtualCPA :

You do not need to amend your return

MyVirtualCPA :

You respond to the letter with the correct schedule and the IRS will make revisions accordingly

Customer:

OK so just fax the correct Sec C and say it was a mistake???

Customer:

The letter asks to "explain the difference"

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, that would work. That is explaining the difference

MyVirtualCPA :

Tell them that you sent them the draft schedule C

MyVirtualCPA :

and that you are now giving them the correct schedule C

Customer:

OK thanks

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome

MyVirtualCPA :

If you would, please take a moment to rate my response "Excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today